December 03, 2006

Concert Review: Five Dollar Friend at Jet Lounge

As a band promoting weasel in the past I have referenced the entertaining musical experience Five Dollar Friend is. Well in one of their rare visits to a venue within travelling distance for me, I had the opportunity to see them again at the quaint Jet Lounge. Jet Lounge is basically an annex to the Engine Room. It turned out to be a free show which I always enjoy (shows are good, free shows are better Coyner's law #5) . Thinking that FDF was supposed to go on at 10:30ish, Albert and I wandered to Jet Lounge early. We would later discover, that there were 3 acts on the bill and that FDF was last. The first group of musicians who didn't have a collective name as far as I could tell were a solid guitar trio who performed mostly covers. Some of the standouts were "Ring of Fire" and "Folsom Prison Blues."

Jeff Canada then took the stage and though he had a bit of an absurd fascination with referencing male anatomy in every instance of commentary between the songs, he had a number of interesting set of original acoustic material. "King of the Playground" which ended his set was recognized most among the original material by the crowd. Admittedly most of the crowd there had seen him play before unlike Albert and myself. I was particularly a fan of the track "Memories in a Shoebox" although many of his other tracks were also good. He also played two outstanding covers and an interesting smash up of Sublime and Bad Company. The covers were Oasis' "Wonderwall" and my favorite Pearl Jam song "Black" so those stood out.

Then it was time for the admittedly short-handed Five Dollar Friend. Keyboardist and backing vocalist Xochitl Salinas was unable to be there but the show went on. FDF played most of the tracks from XOXORx and mixed in three new tracks which were very solid. They opened their set with "Bad Words and Warnings" and included my favorites "Spilling the Blood of Hipsters" "Speeding (35 going 85) " and "The Return". The new songs were tracks called "Tango and Cash", "Bending the Line" (I think that's what Jacob said), and an uptempo song I really enjoyed called "Reality Runs Quickly" where Jacob didn't have a guitar so he got to play semi-crazed frontman. Despite the lack of Ms. Salinas, they playing a modified version of "Dancehall" and helped me rectify the lyrical quandry that Mike and I have had (see song lyrics below). Interestingly During the extended musical breaks in "Speeding" and I believe "...Hipsters," Jacob slipped in some interesting cover lyrics. In "Speeding" Jacob broke into Outkast's "Ms. Jackson" and later he blended the Eagles' "Hotel California."

Beyond the music there were some interesting side plot where apparently at least for Albert needing a cigarette at the bar can become a profitable experience. Our bartender suggested that he talk to the Camel distributor. Some ten minutes later he returned having taken a survey and received not only a free pack of cigarettes but two free tickets to the Ratatat and The Faint show at Warehouse Live on the 13th. Who knew these things worked like that?

Anyway, it was a very solid show to say the least.

Song Lyrics of the Day
"I don't deal
Dealing with me
Feel like trash
Thought that church could make me clean
I was wrong
I let go of everything"
Five Dollar Friend -- "Dancehall"

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

No offense to Jacob, but I'm not going to let him ruin my favorite lyric of a song just because it's not, technically speaking, what the lyric is. Alternately, maybe I'll just steal what I thought it was for my own purposes at some point, because it's a great way to reference the perverse enjoyment we humans often get in destroying something beautiful. Oh well. You win this round, Coyner.

I take it Albert is back off (or is it on) the wagon?

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home