October 15, 2006

Football in review this week

I need to cover numerous things regarding football this weekend. Yes, the brawl between Miami and Florida International will be included although it may need its own post later. For now the usual list of points followed by useless opinion:


  • First congratulations to both my alma maters, Rice and Tulsa, for solid wins this week. Tulsa had a solid quarterbacking performance and solid running game by committee to beat East Carolina 31-10. Rice had great performances from Chase Clement at QB and Jarrett Dillard (more on Dillard later) at receiver and a somewhat bizarre comeback to beat the UAB Blazers 34-33.
  • Playing to my audience a little, congrats to Vandy for the upset of severely overrated but still well-respected Georgia. Any chance I get to start a Commodore bowl countdown or should I view this as a complete fluke (much like the Rice Stadium PA guy during the halftime scoreboard: " And in the SEC, Vanderbilt (awkward pause) Vanderbilt?!? defeated Georgia 24-22"
  • Oklahoma won comfortably against the defensively challenged Cyclones of Iowa State, but the last TD may have wrecked the Sooner season. Get well Adrian and if it's the last time you play for the Sooners, it's been fun to watch.
  • The first BCS standings are out and only the crickets care. West Virginia looks like they may have the biggest complaint. This just in: Quarterbacks should not run for 247 yards and 4 TDs. Apparently Pat White didn't get the email.
  • For those who don't know Rice behind new offensive coordinator Major Applewhite changed to a spread offense from the wishbone prior to this season. That said, there's still a degree of shock that Jarrett Dillard leads the nation in receiving TDs and is second in yardage behind Adarius Bowman of Oklahoma State.
  • Speaking of Bowman, this week's "you're kidding, right?" stat line: Bowman's 13 catches for 300 yards and 4 TDs against the Kansas "Fighting Manginos".
  • Thanks ACC. Way to send a message. I'm sure all of those players from "the U" are terribly upset about missing the game against Duke next week. They should be suspended for a game that matter. Wait , they were up 7-0 against FIU in the 3rd. Duke may be a struggle.
  • In the NFL "the unnamed receiver" is still a tool but the Texans still can't cover anybody.
  • I don't believe in "teams of destiny" but the New Orleans Saints are approaching that level.
  • Is it wrong for me to have watched the Boise State-New Mexico State game rather than Broncos-Raiders or even the NLCS game?

That's it for football, but I did find some new music today. Dallas based band The Vanished (hat tip to the illustrious Gene for the introduction) are coming out with a new EP, Act 1: Captives , which I very much look forward to if for no other reason than the song "Chemical Reaction" which I saw them perform when they opened for Flyleaf in Tulsa. Hopefully this is the first of many local music notes for me to look forward to and write about

Since I can't the Vanished lyrics for chemical reaction, the lyrics of the day come from another little known but quality band, Revelation Theory.

Song Lyrics of the Day
Until now the world was never jaded
Yet I'm left here on my own
To pick up the pieces
Revelation Theory -- "Selfish and Cold"

Now to attempt to rest while the downpour outside continues to toy with my spine. Hopefully, the pain will subside so I can sleep. (Mike you can feel free to insert the alternate song lyrics of the day since you know my thematic away messages for intense pain.)

Addendum: I have yet another reason to dislike "The U." The 4-minute clip of the UM broadcast of the melee from Saturday night can be found on YouTube here. Particularly in the case of the analyst later in the clip, I don't believe I've heard a less credible job of broadcasting an unfortunate football situation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

If Duke beats Miami, I will run naked through the streets of Dunedin, bathing myself in beer along the way. Oh sure, there will be objections ("Dear God, Mike, NO ONE wants to see that!"), but nothing is too good for the Miami Hurricanes.

The New Orleans Saints were bound to win against the overrated Eagles, so I'm still holding out on the "team of destiny" moniker.

And you left out one extremely glaring point about the football weekend, which I will make now: *ahem* "The Titans? The TITANS? THE FUCKING TITANS?!?!" Okay, I'm done now.

Oh, and please tell me that's actually true about the Rice PA announcer. Because that's awesome.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home