October 10, 2006

What I learned about football: The Red River Depression edition

Despite my present mental state on football, a post of this nature was demanded by a rogue agent within the reading audience (all 3 of you). I didn't learn as much this week as normal as I was caught up in my own rivalries.



  • First, hat tip to Jeff for mentioning a few teams which I agree deserve more credit (I refuse to use the word respect because it is an annoying sports cliche.) for their seasons thus far. Having seen Missouri the last two week on television, they are in fact for real. Rutgers and Navy warrant additional notice; although, as a biased of course if I give Navy credit I must also commend the team that handed them their only loss.
  • I'm not sold on Boise State yet though they are undefeated. I'm not as familiar with the schedule they've played, but the competition level seems very weak.
  • Houston we have another victim of a "trap game." Coming off a close loss at Miami and looking ahead to a conference road test at Southern Miss, the Houston Cougars blew a 12-point lead in the fourth quarter to the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette. Once again proving any team can lose when they don't prepare.
  • The Chicago Bears are the best team in football, and I'm not sure there's much doubt at this point
  • Texas outplayed Oklahoma but no one in the Big 12 is particularly special this year. While I credit Missouri, they notoriously fold like card houses in hurricanes late in the year so I'm taking a wait and see approach.
  • Texas Tech's "Nintendo offense" needs the controller plugged in because the high-powered offense we've come to know has disappeared.
  • Finally, Coaches with teams in potential BCS positions probably shouldn't openly call for a playoff system in fear of missing out on the BCS title game, only to have their seemingly unprepared team run over at home by Arkansas. Tuberville's suggestions are logical and would work, but they lose some credibility when your team gets rolled after it appears you've been whining.


Since they've only been to two bowl games in the last 15 years, I still need to include the Golden Hurricane's counter
Bowl eligibility countdown: 2 wins


Song lyrics of the day (given my state of mind post OU-Texas)
"Am I supposed to be happy?
With all I ever wanted
It comes with a price"
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus -- Cat and Mouse

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah, I'm not sure about BSU either. Their steamrolling of Utah is a point in their favor (even if that result royally pisses me off). But when your toughest remaining game is at Idaho... yeah, not so much.

There's always an argument for the MWC and C-USA deserving more credit than they get, but the WAC this year is just crap, and BSU didn't schedule enough quality nonconf opponents (Oregon State doesn't count). Though if some massacre happens and they're the only undefeated team remaining by the end of the season (entirely possible if the Big 10 and SEC teams beat each other up), I may have to give them a second look if they keep spanking their opponents like they're currently doing.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home