August 21, 2006

No animals were hurt in this concert experience, but the saplings sacrificed for the pamphlet may have died in vain

Knowing my readership, we've all been to shows, and as we leave, inevitably street teamers for bands coming to town soon (I'm guilty of this to a degree) will hand out reminders of the upcoming show. This I've come to expect. I didn't expect social activists to pick a post-concert parking lot to hand out pamphlets on why I and the rest of the fleeing audience should change our ways and become vegan. Just to emphasize, I appreciate their message but question their timing. I have a few suggestions to help them in their quest for converts (though my reasonably rural Oklahoma background makes it not particularly likely I will be converting).

First off, there are few things in this world that should be attempted under cover of darkness. Social enlightenment of complete strangers is not one of them. I live in a town with one of the highest crime rates in the free or oppressed world. Therefore, if I'm walking back to rail station and am approached by someone at that time of night, there are about 5 possibilities and none of them are particularly appealing. My advice, I know there aren't as many daytime events but I would suggest canvasing those to get a better reaction.

Second suggestion, as with any rock show, 60-70% of the people you're conversing with have been partaking of $8.00 beer for several hours and therefore won't remember a damn thing you said anyway. Thus the post show parking lot may not be the best opportunity for coherent life-changing conversations.

And finally, since you have limited experience with post-concert behavior, just a hint from the title of this post. Save the trees don't bother with the pamphlets. No one I know saves the leaflets they get after concerts. They peruse them for 5 seconds for reminders of shows they likely know about already and will then often leave them in the car floorboard or god forbid the parking lot.

Just trying to help and good luck on your quest.

Speaking of the walk back I pieced together a small piece for a new writing/song lyric set but I don't know if I should continue with it. I'm posting what I have as the lyric of the day. Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Song Lyric of the Day

"Don't look down
Or this ride may be over
I'd rather continue to fly
Don't shake me
Interrupt the dream
I don't want to fall from the sky"
Caffeine and Starlight -- "Adrenaline (Icarus)"

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Love the song lyric - it sounds very promising. (As I know how much you hate typos, I would fix "steem team" in the first sentence of this post - indiscretion forgiven due to time of post :)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks for the editing correction. Some times my laptop is a bit tricky in terms of typos.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I've been to several concerts where people have been handing out Jesus fliers and trying to preach to the concertgoers. Like you, I wonder about how futile the effort is.

I went to an Indigo Girls concert (and yes, I'm straight and I like the Indigo Girls, so shut the hell up) and there was a person sitting at a table next to the merch table hawking an anti-torture petition. She wasn't getting much activity. I signed it to make her feel better.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home