July 17, 2006

Because I'm not wholly opposed to idea theft...

With Mike laying the groundwork for mid-year music review summaries, I will now take the baton and run with it (though not quickly nor very far).

These comments are not in any order in terms of date or recommendation level.

Evans Blue -- The Melody and Energetic Nature of Volume
Yes, I am a fan of Canadian rock groups in general but these newcomers warrant consideration for musical consumption. The single "Cold (but I'm still here)" is a solid radio effort the disc is about a 7/10 on my review scale in total but "Quote" and "A Cross and A Girl Name Blessed" are worth noting.

People in Planes -- As Far as the Eye Can See
In competition with fellow brits Snow Patrol for my unbiased favorite album of the first half of the year (Foiled excluded of course). My favorite tracks are "Falling by the Wayside", "Token Trapped Woman", "If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode)", and "Narcoleptic". I have an actual review post half done but it may or may not get finished.

Faktion -- Faktion
I like this album a bit more than Mike. While not a standout, there were a couple of addition bright points. "Who I Am" and "Letting You Go" are worth significant listening and, if not the song, the guitar intro on "Maybe" is very solid.

Blue October -- Foiled
While it won't top Consent to Treatment in my opinion, It's still a solid album throughout. "She's My Ride Home", "X Amount of Words", "Drilled a Wire ..." , "18th Floor Balcony" and "Sound of Pulling Heaven Down" make up a solid core for the album to support the singles.

Panic! at the Disco -- A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
Much like Fall Out Boy, a disc I acquired for the humor and humorous song titles. A very much hit or miss effort. "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" and "Build God Then Will Talk" and worthwhile listens along with "...Martyrdom..."

Pearl Jam --- Pearl Jam
Solid and entertaining effort though again not as strong as their original works.

Tool -- 10,000 Days
Half of the CD is very similar to Lateralus which is solid; however, the other half is far enough out there that even for Tool I couldn't follow it.

Snow Patrol -- Eyes Open
This is a disc that I have no problem playing from beginning to end without skipping any songs. Songs like "Chasing Cars" and "It's Beginning to Get to Me" and "Open Your Eyes" stand with the lead single "Hands Open" as standouts within the solid efforts

Three Days Grace -- One-X
See previous review

James Blunt-- Back to Bedlam
Despite "You're Beautiful", A solid effort. The Tracks "Wisemen", "So Long Jimmy" and "No Bravery" stand out among the 10 tracks on the album.

Tomorrow, Texas and Oklahoma music of 2006... (Preview contained in the lyric of the day)

"Digging for sounds that’ll take us
To a place we’ve never known
And if you’re not down, just you stay calm
’Cause you’ve got your radio"
Edgewater -- "Digging for Sounds"

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

How the everloving crap did I forget Foiled? Oh yeah, unlike the remaining CDs which were sitting by my computer, that one is STILL IN MY CAR. :) Nice reviews.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home