June 05, 2006

NCAA baseball recaps: Champs dethroned

While the events of the Houston regional were pretty much true to form, other regional sites provided a fair amount of chaos. Two of the eight national seeds are gone and one is on the ropes. I must send out a thank you to the NC State Wolfpack. Having Texas defend their baseball title from last year would've be unfortunate but thankfully the Wolfpack used a three-run eighth to dethrone the champs 6-3.

Rice jumped out early then cruised behind Eddie Degerman's 8 innings pitched and 14 strikeouts to a 7-2 win over Baylor. The Bears then turned the tables on the ASU Sun Devils by a similar score of 7-2. Rice will play Baylor tomorrow with Baylor needing two wins to advance.

Congratulations to Oral Roberts, the #3 seed in the Fayetteville regional, who took out Oklahoma State 9-2 to advance to the Super Regionals against national #1 Clemson.

Oh and by the way Nebraska, losing on your home field to Manhattan and San Francisco (the Dons, not the Giants) truly validates your #6 overall seed.

As a tribute to those teams already fallen along the Road to Omaha, I give you today's song lyric..

Song Lyric of the day #1
"It's okay to be safe
I'm on top of my game
I'm losing control
Falling by the wayside"
People In Planes -- "Falling by the Wayside"

And for those continuing...
Song Lyric of the day #2
"When I look out on the horizon
I see far beyond this place called home
But every time I try to explain it
I end up feeling so alone
You don't want to walk in my shoes
Beneath all this envy green
I'm varsity blue"
Caroline's Spine -- "Varsity Blue"

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

The lack of any shoutout to Vandy sickens me. What kind of person who would give the slightest damn about Vandy if he didn't know me are you? :-P

6:56 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hey, we Pack backers are happy to help. Even if Stanford did beat us. Bastards.

And Georgia Tech also gets "bastards" status.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

...also, I'm not particularly happy with Baylor either. Though I'm sure the Sun Devils would have fallen to Rice just as hard.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home