June 01, 2006

Let the sound of aluminum bats be heard as the road to Omaha begins tomorrow

It's now that time of year where I as a college sports fan can acknowledge attending Rice without my fellow sports fans chuckling or instantly feeling pity. Tomorrow begins the NCAA baseball tournament where 64 teams will battle for 8 sports at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska for the college world series. Due to the nature of the tournament with 16 regional sites and utter chaos ongoing. I am only going to cover four of them. Of course I will follow the results here at Reckling Park in Houston and the results in Norman, OK since the winners of these regionals will face each other in the Super Regional round. I will also provide coverage of the Fayetteville, AR regional, featuring Oklahoma State, Oral Roberts, and Arkansas as teams of interest, and the Atlanta, GA regional to follow Vanderbilt's progress since the only consistent readers and providers of entertaining comments of this futile attempt at a blog both have ties to Vandy.

Full regional previews will be added tonight when I have my statistics to work from.

Song Lyric of the Day
"Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand new pair of shoes
You know I think it's time to give this game a ride.
Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all, a moment in the sun
It's gone and you can tell that one goodbye!"
John Fogerty -- "Centerfield"

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Is a Vandy-Rice CWS truly possible? Because that would kick very large amounts of glutius maximus.

7:14 AM  
Blogger That guy said...

Not sure we'll make it to Omaha, much less the CWS final. But Vanderbilt did look pretty good today -- and we've got Price to go tomorrow, most likely against Ga. Tech.

I certainly like to pull for schools like Rice that seem to have similar priorities to us (and priorities that I would support even if I had nothing to do with the SEC's Ugly Duckling). I pull for SEC teams too, but beating Rice for the national championship would be sweet. :)

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home