August 17, 2006

Given my other options I think today needs a random new music suggestion

As a Houstonian, I should comment of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals striking down the Star of Hope momument again, but that will inevitably turn into me railing on the legal system once again. So, although I vehemently disagree with the ruling that a 50-year-old momument to a noted Houston area philanthropist at the Harris County courthouse is a violation of the establishment clause, I refuse to get bogged down in the legal battles.

Instead I had a good musical night and thought I would share. In perusing one of my usual music boards I came across and announcement regarding the release of Air Stereo by a New York City band the Damnwells. For those who like acoustic music in the spirit of bands like the Fray or bands in a similar vein to Augustana, you should enjoy based on the four songs I've heard.
In a completely different genre, I was happy to note the return of Smile Empty Soul. Sadly last year's disc Anxiety got permanently shelved and will not be available other than at shows. However, SES has switched labels and finished a 3rd album Vultures to be released October 24th. The two songs I have heard are a marked improvement musically from their self-titled album though I enjoyed it as well. The first single "The Hit" does a solid job of ripping the recording process while still providing some of the simple entertainment of their previous efforts. The other song I enjoyed for the title as well as the tune but I'll save that for the lyric of the day.

I leave my vast readership of 2 with a request. Please provide any new music suggestions you've come across recently that you believe warrants my attention.

Today's counters
14 days until college football and the defense of the C-USA title begins
19 days until Revelations
47 days until The Open Door, Sam's Town, Shine On, and numerous others worth noting

Song Lyric of the Day
"Close your mind with the door
To keep the demons out
Everyone in the store
Shut their little mouths
He said this when we say
Look how much we sank
And all we have to do is smile
While our minds decay
Because Jesus is the manager at Walmart"
Smile Empty Soul -- "Jesus is the Manager at Walmart"

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

The best new music I've discovered recently is a group called Five Dollar Friend, but somehow I'm not sure that recommendation will do much for you since you're the one who sent it to me.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh, but you will likely be receiving a mix CD from me at some point in the near future.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home