October 19, 2006

Random Artistic Effort

Walk Away Free
By Aaron Coyner

I know I’ve let you get the best of me
For far too long a time
But if it goes on any longer
It would have to be a crime
There’s no more damn excuses
And no more to explain
It’s time to fight my own battles
And rise above the pain
So throw away the braces
Let me hobble on my own
And fill out all the papers
‘Cause tonight I’m going home

I’ve made excuses for too long
Used my situation as a crutch
Restricted my behavior
Hid from challenges too much
My courage weaker than my spine
Opportunities just fall
As I sat there uninspired
Sheltered by the wall
Shred the damn prescriptions
And throw away the pills
You can stop the meter running
And just send me the bill
Check in another patient
To my imaginary cell
I need to leave and live my life
Attempting to get well

So throw away the crutches
And don’t panic if I fall
Getting up is part of life
It happens to us all
I’ve signed all the damn papers
Now I’ll make my unique way
Out of the hospital’s shadows
Into a bright, new day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home