May 29, 2005

The effects of karma (music review week 3)

Though there will probably be more music reviews later in the week because there was plenty to review, I chose to start off with the new effort from Seether, Karma and Effect.

Just in general for those of you who liked Disclaimer which out of my readership would be approximately two of you, you will enjoy this one. It's still Seether so there's pretty much no uplifting lyrics. However, in this case, the musical aspects seem much more cohesive. Surprisingly, the faster, louder, songs like "Remedy" and the mildly disturbing "I'm the One" are overshadowed by less radio-friendly tracks like "Truth" and "The Gift" although it would not surprise me if "The Gift" was the second single. Much like their initial effort, this is probably not good music to entertain your religious friends with. The opening track "Because of Me" drives that home with the lyric "nobody died for you but someone prayed for me." Like Disclaimer, Karma and Effect ends officially on the tracklist with a fully acoustic number called "Plastic Man". Apparently, Shaun's been working on his vocals because there is discernible improvement from the initial record of "Broken", which is still an excellent song. I'll refrain from my usual list of other highlights because I like all the listed tracks although the hidden track could remain hidden for all I care. By the way that is not a misprint on your music site screen. Karma and Effect is powerful even without an advisory label which was hard to picture for me having listened to Disclaimer far too much.

Overall: 9/10

Next review: Out of Exile, Mezmerize, and Room Noises for a change of pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home