May 20, 2005

Endochine and SouthFM concert review

First of all, this show was at the wrong venue. Helios, while a nice place to hear a band with your close friends is not a good venues when your friends number in the hundreds. Endochine had a great performance. There were tracks from the sophomore album "Day Two" which were not played due to the adjustment of the band to a trio. However, those that were played ( I'll save the opener and closer to the end if you want to guess Mike) had those of us in the crowd that had heard the band very entertain. Due to the nature of the venue, I contend that many of the patrons had little clue about the band. Endochine played a number of new tracks along with their "Day Two" set; however, the question of recording the new material didn't come up. "Without Love" and "Always Tomorrow" were standout tracks in the performance. "Enough About You", "A New Beginning" made appearances on the setlist.

The opener and closer songs were both strong choices but I missed predictions on them. The opener was "Breadline" and the closer was "Stalker."

SouthFM took the stage and play an acoustic set for about an hour and 20 minutes. Playing 90% of everything they have recorded. They sounded amazing, the parts of the show I caught where I wasn't on the porch looking for fresh air, open space, and/or Endochine merch. To my and probably half the audience's surprise, they didn't close with "Dear Claudia." I admit I did not make it through their entire set due to time constraints and vertebral issues. To the best of my knowledge, SFM played everything except "Habit" that I heard anyway. They may have played it early when I wasn't near the door.

Overall great show at the wrong place. These two bands at Fitzgerald's or the Meridian would have been fantastic.

Overall I look forward to seeing them both again, but I'm admittedly biased.

Endochine 06/25 at Rudyard's
SouthFM 06/12 at Scout Bar

CD reviews this afternoon/evening.

Song Lyric of the Day
"There was a day when
I believed in something
But those days are gone
and I'm left with nothing"

Endochine -- "Suffering" (from the self-released debut "i" (2001))

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Drat, I guessed "Stalker" as the opener and "Enough About You" as the closer. Damn, I wish I could have been there.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home