May 11, 2005

Civility for city government, that would certainly be different

Welcome to the backwards world of Eastern Oklahoma politics. Because it takes too long to write, I'll save the backstory. Congratulations to Bill Martinson for winning the district 5 city council race in Tulsa. I hope you can succeed in your promise to restore civility to that town, but unless you have more of a spine and fewer back room deals that some of your new colleagues, I don't find this very likely. In fact the likelihood of civility in the Tulsa city council in its present form is a little less than the possibility of a snowball fight in Houston in mid-July. Just as an aside, I hope fewer than 12 empty lots voted this time as that would be an improvement.

I'd have been happier about the chaos that is my home region if the Houston Chronicle hadn't reminded me of Texas' own political oddities. It appears that the story I read a couple of months back was not the publicity stunt I thought. Richard "Kinky" Friedman is indeed running for governor of Texas. I'm sorry I have to chuckle at the idea of a gubenatorial candidate whose claim to fame to date is being the frontman for the country music/comedy group Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. Hey but if this sort of thing works for Minnesota and California, then Texas would be a next logical step.

Song lyric of the Day
"The thrill of it all
Is we've got nothing to lose
We drank all our poison
Paid all our dues
And twisted fate until we ripped it in two
So call us the unlucky ones
I know you're dying to be free"

--Admiral Twin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home