May 14, 2005

Cosmic Rant Music Reviews (week 1)

Just to be different and to give myself an outlet to rant on musical topics, I've decided that my weekend posts will consist of CD and/or concert reviews. Today, I have included reviews of 2 relatively recent releases (February 2005 and later).

3 Doors Down -- Seventeen Days
I must admit, at first listen, this album merely struck me as quality album lacking standout songs but having a number a solid efforts. However, after some time, a number of the tracks have grown on me. The first single "Let Me Go" is a good initial single which captures the general flow of the album, however, it is in my opinion overshadowed by a number of much less radio-friendly tunes. The ballad "Landing in London" is an outstanding song on its own but the addition of guest vocals by Bob Seger bolster the song further. The twisted tale told in "Father's Son" is filled with the vivid imagery that would make a good video, but the subject matter may limit its appeal as a single. These two tracks are clear standouts in my opinion. The are supported nicely by the tracks "Be Somebody", about a son leaving home to follow a dream, and the more uplifting, faster, and louder "Live for Today" and "My World".

On the downside, this would be a better disc if the opening and closing songs were stronger. Though "Right Where I Belong" has a great deal of energy, the tone it tries to set seems to clash with the majority of the album. It's a good song but it may be out of place as the leadoff track to this album. "Here by me", the closing track, represents an attempt to go to the ballad card one too many times. Coming off two of the more up tempo tracks, it seems very out of place to close the album.

My Rating: 7.5/10

No Address -- Time Doesn't Notice

For the two of you who read this not named Mike, No Address in a relatively new band on the national scene from Tallahassee, Florida who put on a very entertaining live show. As this is the first national release I had few expectations prior to seeing the live show, but had fallen victim to the catchiness of the first single "When I'm Gone (Sadie)" Upon hearing the entire album, this is a mediocre song for them, but it's harder to get rid of than Royals-Rockies interleague baseball tickets. "Time Doesn't Notice" gets off to an impressive start with the tracks "Perfect", "Love at Your Momentum" and "Lasting Words" (my favorite track) surrounding "When I'm Gone". This is not to suggest that these four songs are the only good tracks. Later in the disc, the tracks "How could I?", "Pretty Girl" and "Time" offer sufficient quality support for the initial tunes. It is clear that the band has a number of classic rock influences as a number of the tracks not destined for radio are closer to that type of sound than one would expect. The band describes their music on their myspace.com page as "Tom Petty meets Nirvana". I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but there are similarities to both.

Overall a very solid debut. 7/10

Next week: A little local flavor with Endochine's "Day Two". possibly a review of "Mezmerize" by System of a Down plus a concert review of Endochine and SouthFM live for 1 of my 3 readers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Just heard "Mezmerize" and really liked it on first listen. Will be interested to see your review.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home