June 05, 2005

Music Reviews Week 4: SoaD and Eisley

Yes, it's been a busy week at work. So there's been a far bit of background music enjoyment. So let the somewhat abbreviated reviews begin.

System of a Down -- Mezmerize

As with every System of a Down effort, If you've been a fan of the band you'll very much enjoy Mezmerize. If it's a new experience for you, I would recommend Toxicity or Steal This Album first. This CD is very solid but due to current readership I can only comment on some of the songs specifically. The first "official" single "B.Y.O.B." is a good initial shot (yes I know there's an intro track called Soldier Side but it only about 45 seconds ) As with many SoaD tracks the highly political lyrics strike at a pointed message, but regardless of your political stance on the issue the track is good enough musically to be appreciated. Another of my favorite tracks I can mention here is the track "Sad Statue." Again this song is fairly political but very entertaining. With this being the family friendly review I will skip to Radio/Video as another enjoyable tune. So with the abbreviated synopsis, I give Mezmerize a 7 out of 10 because their are a few tracks which I felt were just okay. However, it is worth noting that there is a reference to one of my acquaintances' parent in the track "Old School Hollywood" which I found amusing.

Eisley -- Room Noises

I admit I've done well recently with music that I have picked up on a random thought. Room Noises was no exception. Though considerably different than anything previously reviewed in this blog, it is musically very sound and provides a calming effect for me. In my easily dismissable opinion there are 5 tracks which stand out as memorable and for me rather catchy. My favorites in order are "Plenty of Paper," "Marvelous Things," "Telescope Eyes," "Trolley Wood," and "Lost at Sea." Again this is not to discredit the rest of album. I do not usually enjoy a great deal of poppier music unless it is well done, lyrically solid and distinguishable from the abyss of typical pop music. In this case, Eisley succeeds on all fronts on most songs. As with many albums, there were a couple of tracks, "Golly Sandra" and "I Wasn't Prepared", which upon the first few listens leading into this review, I didn't enjoy as much. That does not mean that they aren't deserving of a listen. Overall, this is another success for the music on a whim selections. The list now includes: Blue October, Modest Mouse, Ludo, Submersed, SouthFM ( Drama Kids on the strength of "Dear Claudia"), Alkaline Trio, and Eisley.

Rating: 7.5/10

Okay, who am I kidding I'm a little too biased to reasonably review Out of Exile with a flashing warning sign that says "Warning: Fan Opinion Zero Credibility." At some point, I'll find a reasonable reviewer.

These would have been posted last night but I was out at an actual social gathering. Let the rampant unfounded speculation begin...

Song Lyric of the Day
"I met a girl from Brownsville
A kamikaze head turn got me into her frill
I told her about my friends back home
What they'd say"
-- No Address "Lasting Words"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home