January 12, 2007

Post-Christmas music reviews part 1: South-Central Regional Edition

Ok I promised some people I would post something musical before pulling an iSOLA and going on indefinite hiatus (or at least threatening to for the 19th time in my time). Over the holidays I received my standard ton of music and had I opportunity to see a live show with a couple of fairly decent bands. Along the way, I decided to review a number of artists from the Oklahoma and Texas area. So let the rambling begin.

Miser-- Colors

The joy of myspacing bands again has led me to yet another local disc worth acquiring. Dallas-based Miser actually found me a few months back and at that time I was adding a lot of bands only to go back and listen later. Upon revisiting Miser, seeing that a number of my friends with better musical tastes had befriended them, I was pleased to hear as the lead single from Colors a very solid cover of The Cranberries’ “Zombie” , one of about three Cranberries songs I actually like. The cover was good enough to warrant further investigation but I was sold on the disc by listening to the track “Zen”. “Zen was the energetic opener to Colors which I later discovered was produced by Zac Maloy at Rosewater in Tulsa. Being a Zac apologist from his days with the Nixons, he’s shown a tremendous ability to produce good things for the regional bands he works with (see The Vanished and I believe MWK). So on the strength of one original tune and a cover song I took a bit of a leap.

Luckily it was a soft landing. Among the standout tracks were “Monkey” and “Afterglow” both of which are solid tracks which are surprisingly uplifting for me. “Monkey” through its chorus has been an oft-played track of late due to my recent efforts in self-discovery (see lyric of the day). The tracks “Turn Around,” “Release Me” and “Stars” provide a solid foundation of support for the four tracks previously mentioned. The CD might not be for everyone. If you prefer music that’s either quieter or more experimental Miser may not be your thing. However, for those who aren’t opposed to straightforward rock, Miser’s Colors is a disc to be enjoyed. Since they’ve only existed a year I look for bigger things to come.

8/10


Congress of a Crow (not a CD review but comments on a live show)
Those of you that know me know a few things about my musical traps. I'm a Caroline's Spine and Blue October fan to the point of shameless promotion. So of course when I learned that Caroline's Spine was playing New Years Eve in Tulsa, my end of 2006 was planned. As is customary for my show preparation, I tried to learn a bit about the opening acts prior to the show. There's where I fell into trap number 2. Congress of a Crow was a well-respected Tulsa band that had come to be after I left so I was unaware of them until now. Upon first listen I was hooked between the solid music that was the track "The Bitter End" and the fact that it was a rock band with a female lead singer not named Gwen Stefani (yes this is a pattern for me see Evanescence, Flyleaf, etc...).
Congress of a Crow's 45 minute set to open the Spine show was a very impressive performance from Danielle's first trumpet notes of "The Bitter End" to reflective lyrics of "Reason." Congress of a Crow had the crowd into it through out. After the show, I and many others picked up a copy of their 4-song self-produced CD which featured "Reason" along with the solid tracks "Time 2 Wake Up" and "Vampires". "Bitter End" is a great song and you should check it out here though it isn't available on the present CD.

Midwest Kings -- Incoherent With Desire to Move On (EP)
Yes I am indeed aware that I have hyped this band to some of you for a couple years, but their continued progression has warranted in my view further discussion. The new EP Incoherent With Desire to Move On is the follow up to 2004's Judging a Bullet. The EP features 6 songs which are all entertaining to me. Of the six, my clear favorite is Circles' Anthem. Yes it's another uplifting song, which is wrong for me, but these things happen. "Rearview" is another solid effort about the wonders of hindsight and remembrances of "the one that got away." "Make Me," "One True Thing," "Killing More Than Time", and "Song to Me" round out the very good six pack.

9/10 (Might have actually been a 10 if it were longer than 20 minutes.)


More musical annoyance to come in the near future including reviews of Bowling for Soup, My Chemical Romance, Sister Hazel, and the Burden Brothers. On other fronts, I'm back to normal in my artistic endeavors. I started 2 new ones today titled "Cleansing" and "Fade to Gray" respectively which I will share upon completion. If prodded enough I may share a couple from my happier phase like "A Brighter Day" and "Song of Hope" but I don't recommend prodding.

Thanks for reading the rant.

Song Lyric of the day #1
"What have you been waiting for?
Look what you've found
What's it gonna take to get this monkey off your back?"
Miser -- "Monkey"

Song Lyric of the day #2
" Forward on we march with solace
Knowing that we'll never be alone
We'll call God and tell him not to notice
As we dance this circles' anthem"
Midwest Kings -- "Circles' Anthem"

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Because I anticipate hearing most of these in the relatively near future, I'll delay comment.

Oh, except for: have you actually heard more than three Cranberries songs? "Zombie", "Linger", "Dreams". I'm done.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh, and to reiterate a totally unrelated point: did you guys really, seriously, have to take Todd Graham? I mean, of all the head coaches out there, why Rice's? Why? WHY?

7:58 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I mean, c'mon, haven't Hurricanes done enough to Houston these past few years? Seriously...

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please stop beating me. Thanks.

Sincerely,
A dead horse

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home