March 30, 2007

Music review post since I have nothing better

Okay, since I once again lack original thought, I will fall back on my crutch of music reviews. Today I will cover Radford's 2004 release Sleepwalker. Tomorrow, Jenny Labow's 2007 release Sunday Morning, and Saturday Anberlin's 2007 release Cities.

Sleepwalker is another acquisition based solely on my time at Alternative Addiction. In a simple description, it will come across as radio friendly alternative; though throughout the disc there are much deeper lyrics and many more style changes than have become expected for radio bands these days (probably one of the reasons Radford didn't make radio). The lead track is a personal favorite of mine partially because a chapter in my life can relate to it. "Therapy (I don't need you) is a solid up tempo rock track featuring a tale of falling apart with an unwillingness to accept help from others as the fall takes place. "Fake a Smile" is another highlight filling the role nicely of the ballad of a dysfunctional relationship while still showing detailed seemingly heartfelt lyrics which drive the song but don't seem as forced as some efforts in the genre. "Beautiful" provides a rare glimpse of happiness in it's chorus which is a welcome deviation from so of the more melancholy acts.

Sleepwalker features two other well-crafted ballads in the tracks "Out of the Dark" and "Anything" "Out of the Dark" being almost a cry for help while "Anything" is a plea for a second chance. The ballads in the latter half of the disc are separated with two strong energy songs. "Someone Somewhere" is a good anger management tune with the away message worthy lyric "you've mistaken me for someone who cares." "Long Way Down" is another fun song for me with the references to character coming out of shells. It resonates with my mood often. Radford isn't OLP though at times they sound similar. so there are a couple tracks that don't relate as well, but all together Sleepwalker is an enjoyable listen.

8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home