March 06, 2007

Long time no blog music reviews part one

Okay, loyal reader. I am a condemnable slacker but you knew that already. Since I haven't had time for pithy political insight and we're in the sports wasteland that is March, I shall fall back on staple topic #3. Tonight I review music which is not new but is new to me.

First up the 2002 effort from Ohio-based July for Kings called Swin. This is a standard radio alternative effort. Many of the songs were actually used at the time for shows like the Real World and other such reality TV. It however took exposure through Alternative Addiction for me to realize Swim was a worthwhile effort. I understand I'm flying directly in the face of AMG with this one, but that's normal.
Most of the songs like "Normal Life" and "Girlfriend" are well-crafted lyrically even if their sound is processed to be media friendly. "Normal Life" is a simple tune about wanting to essentially live the standard American dream. "Girlfriend" is a typical tale of missing a loved one though I enjoy the interplay between the typical longing and an apparent desire to find religion. "Meteor Flower" is a poignant ballad which stands out among the other tracks. Other solid tracks include "Without Wings", "New Black Car", and "Champagne".

Overall Swim is a solid effort though it won't stand out amongst the best of rock history.

6.5 of 10

Song Lyric of the Day
"Dial 7 for a savior
Is this soul keeping please?
Can you put me through to Jesus?
I'll pay the long distance fees
He said "hello, God bless you son"
"There's a Bible in the drawer"
That's wonderful sir
But I don't read it anymore"
July for Kings -- "Girlfriend"

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Your description of "Normal Life" reminds me of a song written by one of the most brilliant lyricists of our time called "Neurosis". Ergo, I'm intrigued.

Based on lyric at the end of the post, I may need that song as it could very well be entry number 117 on my "story of my life" song list.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home