January 29, 2006

Top 10 live shows I attended in 2005

Yes, I know I'm still behind but things are still a little chaotic. Without further delay, Here's the list.

Honorable Mention: Socialburn and Another Day at the Engine Room -- It was great to see Socialburn as I missed them when they toured for Where You Are, and as far as a debut show for Another Day, I was impressed.

10. Deep Ella and SouthFM at Rudyard's: This will be the first of multiple mentions for both these bands (or at least parts of them). Very entertaining show at a smaller venue.

9. Default and Hinder w/ Bif Naked at Scout Bar: I had seen the Canadian rock group Default in a previous concert life (a show which was marred by what has become known to me as "the incident" which involved 5 months in cast) . On this night however, I had no such difficulties and could enjoy their show for what it was. Though I had issues with the setlist's complete avoidance of Elocation I thought the show was entertained. OKC's Hinder surprised me with their show and there ability to play to the crowd even beyond the predictable audience participation with "Get Stoned"

8. Bowling for Soup, American Hi-Fi, Riddlin Kids, and MC Lars at Meridian: This was a very humorous show. The best musical performance was American Hi-Fi. Bowling for soup were their usual out of control selves which made for grand amusement.

7. Endochine and South FM (acoustic) at Helios: Spectacular show at an unfortunate time of year for the venue. Helios (having limited if any air conditioning) in late May in Houston is just a bad idea. In my humble opinion, SFM was better as an acoustic show because Paco didn't have to strain. Endochine was extremely entertaining in there adjust lineup after the departure of Casey McPherson (going to check out Casey's new project Alpha Rev at some point in 2006). The set was not a surprise but it was well performed and entertaining and that's all I truely ask.

6. iSOLA with Jeff Crowder of Deep Ella at Helios
Fun show and a late night for me. Crowder's set was very good even though I had seen most of it the week prior (except for "Fight the Human Race"). iSOLA was fun because they celebrated the end of the year with what started out as fan request night. Great set as usually
5. Buzzfest XVI at CWMP:
The fall installment of our standard Houston festival show. Highlights included great performances by Audioslave and Nickelback. Institute and Seether were both very good. Sadly OLP cancelled (I was looking very forward to them)
4. Green Day and Jimmy Eat World at Toyota Center
Green Day played a very solid show though in their 2 and a half hours they could have included a few more songs . What they did play was very entertaining and the show theatrics played well with the crowd. Jimmy Eat World was a great opener with plenty of energy however, I would have liked to see them have a set time longer than 30 minutes
3. Buzzfest XV at CWMP:
Notable performances: Papa Roach, No Address, Theory of a Deadman, Alterbridge, Breaking Benjamin, Sum 41 and 3 Doors Down.

2. Blue October, iSOLA and Greatness in Tragedy at Meridian

1. 5591, Matt Noveskey, and Jeff Crowder at Sidecar Pub

Descriptions will be added for the top 6 as time permits today but alas I must going finishing reading for class.

Song Lyric of the Day:
"Hate me today
Hate me tomorrow
Hate me for all the things I didn't do for you"
-- Blue October

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I know it's an odd request given that I was at 5 of the 6 remaining shows with you, but for completeness' sake, I want descriptions! :-)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I heard that song (the one quoted on your post) on the radio in NC... it's the first time I've heard Blue October on the radio

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home