January 20, 2006

Music Lists 2005: Biggest Suprises of 2005

Every year I do this but I seldom put the list out for public consumption. I know it's just an opinion but I'm always afraid of ridicule. That said, this will serve as part 1 of my musical awards and lists for 2005.
Top Pleasant Surprises of 2005
1. iSOLA -- Loud Alarms
I was introduced to iSOLA by a number of friends of mine via the Blue October board. After seeing the live show I picked up their first EP Don't Walk, Run and was fairly impressed, but my exposure to that album did not prepare me for the vast improvement I found in Loud Alarms. The album has enough experimental elements and winding musical journeys to play to the standard college radio crowd; however, these elements are merely there to add to the final product instead of being used as a cover for musical issues. Everyone I know who has listened to it has a different song to recommend suggesting a fairly wide appeal.
2. System of a Down -- Mezmerize/Hypnotize
This is not on the list because I was surprised it succeeded. I'm a fan of SoaD and know that the bands fan base would make both parts commercially successful. Mesmerize/Hypnotize makes the list based on it's ability to incorporate many disparate styles into a cohesive album. Yes, there are a few tracks of old school SoaD where screaming lyrics that on the surface may seem completely random is commonplace but there are a number of others in which Serj and company show an ability to be highly melodic without sounding forced.
3. SouthFM -- Swallowing the Pill
Responses to this one fall into three categories: The majority of you will respond with "who?" and/or" why?". A second group will recall the one single from the previous album that got significant airplay, "Dear Claudia." The final group is a limited bunch (given my present readership, limited is set at over/under 3 for line making purposes) which can honestly say that they have heard the album. Again, unless I'm in complete anger management mood, I look for things which are melodic and easily enjoyed. I also have a tendency to favor more lyrically driven songs. SouthFM succeeds for the majority of this album on both fronts. Songs I would recommend in particular would include "Surface/Wake Up" , "Blue and Grey", "Regret/The Grieving" and "Habit", the song responsible for my favorite away message of 2005.
4. No Address -- Time Doesn't Notice
For a debut CD this was a very solid effort with a number of quality tracks which sadly commercial radio will not play because they do not have the virally catchy hooks of the lead single "When I'm Gone (Sadie)." My appreciation of this disc is due partially to it's attempt to mix in classic rock influences and a "back to basics" approach to produce a solid album.
5. Hinder -- Extreme Behavior
Ever listen to a song and then spend the better part of 20 minutes condemning yourself for enjoying it? That was me in late August when this OKC quintet hit radio with their debut single "Get Stoned." I'm not a drug user and I have zero personal life so I have no means to relate to the song, but much like Smile Empty Soul's "Bottom of a Bottle" a couple years back, I couldn't help enjoying it. The reason they are on the surprise list is because I figured them for a one-hit wonder with no other solid material to support the single which will catch on due to the subject matter. I gladly admit that I was very much mistaken. Though the subject matter for most of the songs is familiar, well-traveled musical ground, sometimes it's good just to have a good time. I can't be a pure music elitist all the time.
Next: 2005 the year in musical failures (I've got a few but I am open to reader suggestions) .
Unrelated to either list side note: The calendar has reached January and thus the countdown shall resume.
53 days and counting until ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Finally picked up No Address yesterday. I had forgotten how ridiculously awesome "Lasting Words" is. Also, to your SouthFM recommended songs list, I would add "Where Did You Go?", my personal favorite on the album, and "The Game", for it's cut-through-the-bullshit chorus "C'mon sleep with me".

Very curious to see your list of musical failures. If I can think of any specifically I will communicate them via IM.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home