October 10, 2005

All is forgiven

As this is my weekly rant in which I vent about my music and weekend, I won't sugarcoat anything. My weekend started hideously. I've established I'm an Oklahoman living in Texas; therefore, the Red River Shootout is always a make or break game for me. Sadly, much like my spine it was pretty much broken. Seeing Adrian hobbled and Texas receivers running free was almost enough to force me into the office on my typical off day. Saturday was salvaged from a sports perspective by a rare occurrence in Hattiesburg Mississippi. My alma mater the Tulsa Golden Hurricane won a turnover plagued battle with Southern Miss going away 34-17. Tulsa's now 3-3 and the bowl prediction does not look that far off. The remaining schedule includes home games with SMU and East Carolina, a road game here at Rice (as they try to keep up with their fellow owls at Temple for worst team in football honors), and challenges against Tulane and a very good UTEP team.

As it was I did not experience much of the TU-USM game, as I was enjoying the CD release party for iSOLA's Loud Alarms Saturday night. Although, I can't be completely objective enough to review it, I strongly recommend that anyone interested in melodic indie rock sounding music pick up Loud Alarms from here. You won't be disappointed.

Sunday brought "the game" and the least productive 5 hours and 50 minutes ever spent in front of the TV. Fox's pitch for post-season baseball is "you can't script October" but that game read like a combination of every baseball screenplay not involving cornfields in Iowa. Atlanta rolled out to a 6-1 lead before Bobby Cox removed an effective Tim Hudson in the 8th when the first 2 reached for "reliable closer" and notably former Cub Kyle Farnsworth. Farnsworth achieved gas can hall of shame status by giving up a grand slam to Lance Berkman and then with 2 outs in the 9th giving up the game-tying shot to Brad Ausmus. Everyone knows the ending but the name of Chris Burke will be revered in Houston to come.

A final gem to my weekend turnaround occurred last night (I know Monday's not technically the weekend but for my purposes it will be). The Yankees were removed from the playoffs by the OC Angels. Sorry Fox. No Yankees or Red Sox this year. You'll actually have to talk about teams with payrolls under 120 million.

With the weekend turnaround complete, it's time to look ahead with the return of the counters.

Blue October at Meridian: 4 days
Tulsa Bowl Eligibility counter: 3 wins
Dom Capers watch: 13 days (McNair gave him a "vote of confidence". It can't be long.)

Today's song lyric and post title are from Default as their new album drops today.

"Don't stop the rain from coming down
Let it wash the pain where it can't be found"

Default -- "All is Forgiven"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home