August 21, 2005

Concert Review: Five Dollar Friend

Those that know me understand this, but I am not trying to be a prude. I'm all for people enjoying themselves at shows as long as it does not come at the detriment of others. All of this rant stems from my experience at Helios yesterday attending the Five Dollar Friend and Lazlo show. The actions of a single concert goer nearly derailed the whole show on a couple of occasions leading me to construct a list of suggested rules for club show attendance.

  1. If you're just attending the show to get hammered with no regard for the music being played please pick a different show.
  2. Stay off the stage. (We didn't pay the cover charge to see attempt to dance around the musicians and make a complete ass of yourself.)
  3. When in various states of impairment also don't stand on the tables or chairs. You're balance is worse than mine and I and those around me do not wish to catch you as you fall.
  4. Once you've been asked to leave, don't come back.

As for the performance itself, the opening band Lazlo played well when not having to tackle our drunken concert goer off the stage. Lazlo played a set of louder and faster rock which was though very predictable and run of the mill was still an entertaining set.

Five Dollar Friend took the stage and began their set with the melodic "Dancehall". They played a number of songs I had not yet heard from their forthcoming disc Kisses, Hugs, and Prescription Drugs; however, these new songs were impressive. Most impressive were the title track and the final track of the set which I was unable to get a title but singer Jacob Trevino said that it like most songs was about ex-girlfriends. Aside from "Dancehall", the other tracks I had heard before "35 going 85 (speeding)" and "Spilling the Blood of Hipsters" were well performed having an almost identical sound to the studio recordings only with fewer backing vocals from keyboardist Michelle Hudson.


In closing, despite the actions of a disturbed concert attendee, Five Dollar Friend's performance (also with the few songs I heard from Lazlo as I arrived somewhat late) were probably worth more than the price of admission (which yes, to cut off sarcastic comments at the pass, was appropriately $5.)

Since of my readership of maybe four only I have actually heard the songs in question, "Dancehall", "35 going 85" and "Spilling the Blood of Hipsters" can be heard here.

Song Lyric of the Day
"She needs the bright lights of the city
To make her pretty
Just for tonight"
Five Dollar Friend - "Spilling the Blood of Hipsters"

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

You just had to cut off my sarcastic comments, didn't you?

That drunk guy sounds hilarious, if extremely annoying.

And I love the title of the next FDF album. Sounds intriguing.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home