August 12, 2005

A creative way to lose a division lead

Finally, I get to give the Gas Can of the Day to Francisco Rodriguez of the Orange County Angels. This award is not the result of his stats but his inability to catch a throw back from the catcher because he was distracted and irritated about a previous call. His nonchalant effort resulted in the ball deflecting off his glove far enough toward second base that Jason Kendall was able to score the winning run from third and give the A's the game and the lead in the AL West.

If you haven't seen the play it's available here.

More useless commentary later...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm very happy for Kendall, whose bat gave me my sole foul ball catch in probably close to 100 major league games attended. Jeff and I used to refer to plays like that as "excessive nonchalance".

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home